News

Three residential fires in one day: No smoke detectors in home with six renters

This Mar. 8 residential fire in the 1800-block of Illinisky Road started when snow slid off the roof, ripping out the power line, which caused an arc fire. It was one of three residential fires in Revelstoke on Mar. 8.  - Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services image
This Mar. 8 residential fire in the 1800-block of Illinisky Road started when snow slid off the roof, ripping out the power line, which caused an arc fire. It was one of three residential fires in Revelstoke on Mar. 8.
— image credit: Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services image

Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to three different house fires on Mar. 8, including two residences with inadequate smoke detectors. Here is a summary of the incidents:

— At 1:50 a.m. Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to a structure fire in the 500 block of Moss Street. “Upon arrival fire crews entered the basement area and quickly extinguished the fire, located at the electrical panel contained within the house," said Fire Chief Rob Girard in a statement. “The six renters of the residence were out of the building when fire crews first arrived on scene. What is alarming about this fire is that there were no working smoke alarms at the time of the fire in this rental residence."

Girard said it was fortunate the renters weren't yet asleep and smelled the smoke. If they hadn't been awake, "the outcome of this fire could have been much different," Girard said.

It took 18 fire personnel just under an our to overhaul the fire.

Girard said the fire was electrical in nature.

—Firefighters were back in action at 11:33 a.m., responding to a 911 call from the 1800-block of Illinisky Road.

The resident was waiting outside. Firefighters searched the mobile home and then extinguished a fire on the roof.

Girard said the fire was caused by snow sliding off the roof; it ripped off the main electrical service wire, causing an arc fire on the roof.

“I was glad to see this residence had two working smoke alarms at the time of the fire in this residence," Girard said.

—At 10:20 p.m., firefighters responded to a 911 call from a resident in the 1100-block of Douglas Street.

“Upon arrival Fire Crews quickly extinguished the chimney fire by laddering the roof and using a chimney nozzle," Girard said.

The owner of the home was injured when he attempted to climb on the roof and fight the fire himself. He suffered burns to his feet and was transported to Queen Victoria Hospital for treatment.

Girard reported that only one of three smoke detectors in the house was working at the time.

***

Fire Chief Rob Girard urged residents to install smoke detectors and test them regularly to ensure they're working properly.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
 
Site C dam construction to start next summer
Growing pains for police investigation unit
 
GALLERY: Land of Christmas lights
 
Fundraiser to help mother attend trial of man accused of killing her son
MLA sues political opponent for incident at 2013 all candidates forum
 
Dognapping victim returned to Penticton SPCA
 
Western News parent company completes deal with Glacier Media

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.