News

Update: House fire on Connaught Avenue

Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services battled what appeared to be a chimney fire in a Connaught Avenue home just after midnight on Feb. 3. Significant amounts of smoke poured from the roof of the older building. Firefighters appeared to have a difficult time accessing the source of the fire, as the fight when on for over an hour with large volumes of water being sprayed into the home. The residents and their cat got out safely, but the home’s future seems questionable considering the amount of smoke and water involved in the fire. - Aaron Orlando/Revelstoke Times Review file photo
Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services battled what appeared to be a chimney fire in a Connaught Avenue home just after midnight on Feb. 3. Significant amounts of smoke poured from the roof of the older building. Firefighters appeared to have a difficult time accessing the source of the fire, as the fight when on for over an hour with large volumes of water being sprayed into the home. The residents and their cat got out safely, but the home’s future seems questionable considering the amount of smoke and water involved in the fire.
— image credit: Aaron Orlando/Revelstoke Times Review file photo

PHOTO: Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services battled what appeared to be a chimney fire in a Connaught Avenue home just after midnight on Feb. 3. Significant amounts of smoke poured from the roof of the older building. Firefighters appeared to have a difficult time accessing the source of the fire, as the fight when on for over an hour with large volumes of water being poured into the home. The residents and their cat got out safely, but the home’s future seems questionable considering the amount of smoke and water involved in the incident – although it was difficult to tell how much of the water was getting through the roof. An official report on the incident is not yet available.

Update, Feb. 3, 9:42 p.m.

Revelstoke Fire Chief Rob Girard confirmed none of the residents or 18 firefighters who responded to the blaze were injured.

“This fire presented some challenges for us such [as] high winds, three different roof layers and laddering accesses,” said Girard. It took about three hours for firefighters to extinguish the fire and overhaul the scene.

Firefighters used their new ladder truck, which allowed them to get to the ridge of the building and pull back the flashing, exposing the fire.

They also deployed "salvage covers" to protect the occupants' belongings.

Girard said the fire was caused by a wood-burning stove that ignited cedar shake roof shingles.

Girard reminded residents to clean pellet and wood stove pipes regularly to avoid creosote build up.

"Lack of maintenance of these wood burning units can be disastrous," he said, while reminding residents to have a working smoke alarm in your home at all times.

The two occupants are now residing with friends.

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Heritage Commission seeking to revitalize heritage thinking in Revelstoke
 
Massive surge on Illecillewaet River causes concerns
 
Kootenay climbers seek online votes
Petition urges reinstatement of Nelson bus service
 
Whooping cough outbreak hits Nelson
 
Dutch Valley residents demand flood protection
Transportation Minister revs up B.C. speed limit reform debate
 
Bootleg Sled Dogs race into third year for Kootenay kids
 
Stronger one kind act at a time

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 15 edition online now. Browse the archives.